Tuesday, January 31, 2006

DJ Dogdriller Rides Again !!

Yes folks, for one night (well, evening really...well one hour out of an evening...) I got myself back behind the decks to play some "top choones" to an unsuspecting and not entirely appreciative audience. This took place at Marcus's one-off event Nun Fun Sunday at the Kinky Mambo cocktail bar in Islington.

The aim of the day was partly to celebrate Marcus's birthday, but mainly to raise desperately-needed funds for his show Postcards From God, a comedy-musical about the life of Sister Wendy, the art-critic nun. Apparently he needs £30,000 to put on the show, so he is doing a variety of things over the coming months to try and fill the coffers. Sunday consisted of various cabaret performance throughout the afternoon, followed by DJs (ie myself and three others through the evening).

With it being a school night, unfortunately people started drifting away once the cabaret section had finished, or maybe it was the stuff I was playing causing people to leave in droves ! I don't think the woman who came and asked me for Wham! was quite on the same wavelength as myself (or any of the other DJs for that matter), nor was the rather irritating girlfriend of the useless barman who came and pestered me for far too long (ie more than 1 minute) with questions like "What sort of music is this ?" "What songs have you got that I would like ?" etc, etc. Nevertheless, some people did at least dance and when I had finished and went to get a drink, a gentlemen of a certain age who was propping up the bar thanked me for playing Mott The Hoople.

Here's a selection of my set:
Ladytron - Destroy Everything You Touch
Mott The Hoople - Roll Away The Stone
Althea And Donna - Uptown Top Ranking
Fox - S-s-s-single Bed
Art Brut - Modern Art
Kate Bush - Sat In Your Lap
The Sweet - Teenage Rampage
Fiery Furnaces - Tropical Ice-Land
Visage - Fade To Grey
Talulah Gosh - Bringing Up Baby
Gang Of Four - Armalite Rifle
The Breeders - Cannonball
Cocteau Twins - Iceblink Luck
Helen Love - Debbie Loves Joey

As an aside, Kinky Mambo is the only venue I've ever been to that has a vending machine selling sex toys. So if you have run out of Lust Fingers, Rod Rings, Ticklers or Love Eggs, this is the place to go.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home