Thursday, December 29, 2005

So This Is Christmas

So that's it, over and done with again for another year. For some reason, I still always look forward to Christmas with some level of anticipation and excitement, despite the fact that the reality never quite lives up to expectations, and this year was no different.

It’s not that I had a bad time or anything. As per usual, I spent a few days at my mum’s in Norwich, just the two of us, plenty of food, drink and extra-dramatic soap storylines. But in the preceding few weeks when I imagine what it's going to be like, I always have in the back of my head, a – probably rose-tinted – memory of childhood Christmases where it's all nice, safe and cosy, and probably a bit picture-book, and whilst I know it's not going to be exactly like that, I always expect my Christmas to at least evoke similar sorts of feelings. But the reality is, it doesn't take long for the fact that my mum and I don't really have that much in common or that much to talk about beyond banalities to surface, and that a 38-year-old man is never quite going to relate to the occasion nor the wider world at large in the way he did when 10.

Still, never mind. It was "OK". Just enough time to enjoy being looked after, cooked for and catch up on my sleep before starting to feel smothered. And I did enjoy the big treat that was the special new Dr Who episode - The Christmas Invasion. A good way of introducing David Tennant as the new Doctor and get all the difficult stuff about why he looks different etc out of the way now, leaving the forthcoming new series ready to go straight into "proper" stories.

And now, back in London, I am eagerly anticipating the Duckie New Year's Eve party. Unfortunately it looks like we are certain to have a tube strike that evening and the next morning; luckily I should be able to get there using overground trains and a bit of extra walking. As for getting home again, haven't got a clue, but it's only been the past 2 years that the tube has run all night and I've always somehow managed to get home in earlier years. And I’ve just ordered a new TV, which should be delivered on Sunday 8th. Hurrah!

2 Comments:

Blogger redhairedqueer said...

Ooh! Nice new telly! I love my LCD, but it's not quite as posh as yours.

(Ya show off!)

Sat Dec 31, 10:39:00 am  
Blogger Dogdriller said...

Well I bought it from Comet, so the delivery's bound to go wrong or it'll be broken or have bits missing or something!

Sat Dec 31, 11:15:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home