Monday, January 01, 2007

2007...it's starting !

As they say on Torchwood, "the 21st century is when everything changes, and you'd better be ready". Well in my case it's taken until 7 years (or is it 6 - I can never remember) into the new century for me to reach my Everything Changes point, but I think it's fair to say the helter-skelter has been stepped on and I shall soon hopefully be tumbling inexorably towards my (new) destination. Which of course - as stated in my previous post - is leaving London for Glasgow. So why I am making such a seemingly drastic and life-changing step ? Here's the background:

- My fondness for Scotland started early in life when my aunt & uncle moved to Helensburgh. This is a small town about a 45 minute train journey westwards from central Glasgow, and we went up there for holidays several times in the late 70s/early 80s - I think it was 6 times in 7 summers. Ever since then it's always been in the back of my mind that I would like to live in Scotland some day.

- Now I've enjoyed my 15 years in London, I feel very lucky and privileged to have met some great people, had some brilliant experiences and really fallen on my feet career-wise. However, it's now all starting to feel a bit jaded. That creeping feeling that everything, every year is the same; that I've done it all before. I suspect this is quite common. However for most people, encumbered by family ties & commitments , constrained financially, probably find they cannot do anything about it, so simply shrug their shoulders and muddle along as best they can. Whereas I, as a single gay man with no dependents have the opportunity to take a few (safe-ish) risks in life. And I firmly believe this is the type of thing you regret NOT doing more than doing.

- Thirdly, the Scottish climate agrees with me much more than the London one. This has become more of an issue in the past 5-ish years, as the amount of appallingly hot weather seems to have increased noticeably. Summer in London is increasingly becoming something to grit my teeth and get through, plus it arrives earlier and earlier and has developed an annoying tendency to outstay its welcome.

- Following several recent visits and obsessive internet research, I am convinced that Glasgow is a fantastic city to live in - and certainly a lot cheaper than Edinburgh. I want to buy a 2-bed traditional tenement flat, preferably in the West End, or failing that, South Side. I hope this turns out to be a good move. Reason 1 Why It Might Not Be. Reason 2 Why It Might Not Be. Don't tell my mum.

- I'm 40 next month - so obviously, life begins!!!

These are my favourite Glasgow websites:
Hidden Glasgow
Future Glasgow
Pat's Guide To Glasgow West End
Bloodbus

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home