Sunday, September 11, 2005

Dirty Losers And Tits Of Death

Hmmmm.....not sure what to think about this one. Last night I went to fellow OUTer PJ's monthly clubnight, Dirty Losers at Clockwork on Pentonville Road. I wasn't really sure what it was going to be like although the website led me to assume it was going to be some sort of indie/alternative through the ages type of thing, perhaps akin to Duckie but without so much pop.

Luckily I got there early enough to see the main band, the interestingly-named Tits Of Death, an all female synth-metal quintet who were pretty good if slightly breast-obssessed in song as well as name. (In fact, they go on about breasts even more than Lesley from Big Brother, but unlike her they can actually sing too). I was expecting a riot grrrl or grungy look, but they were actually glamorous & glossy, not the sort of women you'd expect to be playing dirty rock'n'roll, the incongruity of which no doubt causes confusion to many, always funny to watch. Not so funny was a man inexplicably dressed in a bird costume (with dreadlocks!) who was taking up too much room and kept nearly knocking people over.

So anyway, after the Tits came the music & dancing part of the night, where it all went a bit funny. The music was mainly 50s & 60s rock and roll, nothing bad & quite interesting actually, just not what I was expecting. And the remaining people (lots had left after the band finished) seemed to enjoy it, despite in the main probably not having been born until a good 10-20 years after said music was made. That got me thinking; at the risk of sounding like an old codger, when I was young I wouldn't have been seen dead dancing to (or enjoying) OLD music - that was for old people! Maybe today's youngsters are more open-minded about such things; or maybe music today is utter crap and I was fortunate to grow up in a golden age which scaled heights of innovation, imagination & originality that will never again be reached, thus ensuring it will endure for generations. As for the club, well PJ says it varies from month to month and they try and play a real mix of stuff, so it hasn't put me off going again - I'm also hoping I might get to DJ there some time having submitted the following sample playlist a while ago:

Wah - The Story Of The Blues
The Amps - Tipp City
T Rex - Metal Guru
The Smiths - Sheila Take A Bow
Fiery Furnaces - Tropical Ice-land
Julie Driscoll, Brian Auger And The Trinity - This Wheel's On Fire
Graham Coxon - Freakin' Out
The Sweet - Ballroom Blitz
Sinead O'Connor - Mandinka
Le Tigre - Hot Topic
Sultans Of Ping FC - Where's Me Jumper
Helen Love - Debbie Loves Joey
Siouxsie And The Banshees - Dear Prudence
Buzzcocks - Orgasm Addict
Placebo - Taste In Men
Talulah Gosh - Bringing Up Baby
Art Brut - Modern Art
Gang Of Four - I Love A Man In A Uniform
Kate Bush - Sat In Your Lap
Aztec Camera - Oblivious
Hole - My Beautiful Son
Joan Jett And The Blackhearts - I Love Rock'n'Roll
Stereolab - Ping Pong
Lou Reed - Vicious

(Oh, and Norwich won 2-0 yesterday. Hurrah !)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey...I'm in Tits of Death. How funny to find someone who was actually there. I have no idea what was up with that goddamn chicken either. (www.titsofdeath.com if you want to get in touch, can't abide leaving email addresses on this stuff, you get spammed)

And PJ should definitely let you DJ. That's a good playlist.

Tue Sept 13, 06:35:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chicken Little it wasn't

Sat Mar 11, 01:42:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home